Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Why I'm single

So I met this guy at work a while ago. Not that cute, actually came off kind of bible-thumpery. Go figure. But I was working and didn't want to be rude, so I talked to him. Huge mistake. Here's how the conversation went:

"Is there something in your teeth? I think there's something in your teeth. Are your teeth clean?" He's staring intently at my mouth, and I'm offended.
"There's nothing in my teeth, " I snap, glancing at a mirror. "What in God's name makes you think it's socially acceptable to ask a question like that to a perfect stranger?"
He's not even phased by my taking offense to his being there. "Calm down, I'm just trying to figure out what you're all about. Sorry."
"Don't worry about it, just don't expect to find a self-respecting girl asking questions like that."
"What makes you think I want a self-respecting girl?"
I just stared at him. "I'm sorry. Do you want a girl who doesn't respect herself?"
He hesitated, confused at my question. "Well, I mean, it would be nice I guess to have a girl who respected herself, but I think it'd get boring after a while."
I continued to stare at him, dumbfounded. He tried to backtrack. "You have to understand, I'm from California, where no girl respects herself."
I actually laughed. "Funny, because I'm from California and have nothing but respect for myself. So you should probably stop talking to me now."
"Really? where in California are you from?"
"No. Really.The conversation has ended."
"Oh." He looked sad. "Do you have a friend you could set me up with?"

No comments: